- After we meet we will walk through the reknown Spice Market and stop for a private Turkish Spices Tasting session in a shop that has been there since five generations.
- A real Spice Odyssey!
- Then we will take a short scenic ferry ride over the Bosphorus to the Asian side of Istanbul. You will join Selin at her home on the Asian side of Istanbul and cook a traditional home-cooked Turkish meal together.A Turkish Culinary school in a real home!
- Dishes are approachable and easy to replicate in your home country.The best part is the conclusion: Tasting your creations! For lunch, you will savor what you have cooked! A six course menu you have prepared, accompanied with boutique Turkish wines.
- Recipes vary according to the season, utilizing only the freshest farm to table ingredients available and providing you with a deeply individual Turkish experience.
- As a member of Slow Food, Selin’s focus is on healthy locally sourced, fresh, artisan, and sustainable food.
- Vegetarian and gluten free Turkish food is not a challenging option for us – it’s easy being green and creating exciting Turkish vegetarian and gluten free recipes at Turkish Flavours.
- Upon request Turkish – Sephardic cuisine dishes can also be included to the menu from Selin’s family recipes.
- Cookery Classes are organized in Selin’s Home Kitchen. Instruction is in English or French.
- Recipes are geared to the home cook. Detailed recipe booklets including 55 recipes are offered to take away and try once back at home.
A sample menu at cooking classes in Istanbul might include:
- Crispy cheese and herb filled pastry rolls or Flaky Turkish Borek with feta and herb filling or Zucchini flan with feta cheese and herbs
- Bulgur wheat salad- Kısır or Carrots with a garlic infused in yogurt and tahini dressing or Cacik
- Leeks ,green beans, celery root or artichokes in olive oil
- Purslane Salad with mint and yoghurt or Green Olive Salad with sumac and pomegranate molasses
- Spicy bulgur or Tomato rice pilaf or pilaf with Orzo
- Split Belly Eggplant stuffed with meat – Karniyarik or Aromatic Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers with Olive Oil or Zucchini stuffed with meat, rice and herbs in a tomato sauce or Baked Sea Bass with vegetables or Eggplant in Earthenware casserole with lamb or Swiss Chard rolls
- Apricots stuffed with Kaymak ( clotted cream) or Roasted Figs infused in honey with bay leaves or Revani – Turkish Semolina sponge cake
COST : USD 100.- per person
Spice tasting session , cooking class and lunch with wine, ferry rides and transportation from /to ferry pier on the Asian side are included in the price.
Recommended by Rick Steves and Lonely Planet.
Cooking with Turkish Flavours in Istanbul by Shaun Robertson. Click to read more.
Please do not have a big breakfast prior your cooking class!
TURKISH COOKING CLASS WITH KIDS
Why not take your kid to join you in your culinary experience. To encourage your budding gourmet, we offer ample opportunities for culinary exploration for kids and parents alike. While having fun, kids will be experimenting with flavour combinations and exploring the Turkish food culture.
There will be a 50% discount to children 12 years old and younger.
Children up to 6 year old accompanied by their parents join the class free of charge.
“Cooking is love made visible”