Everyday 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
A gourmet walking tour through two markets on two continents -Europe & Asia!
- Depart for a visit to the Spice Bazaar for Spice Tasting and stopping for tastings. This extensive market was built in the 17th century to finance the upkeep of the nearby mosque, Yeni Cami. The bazaar is often referred to as the “Egyptian Market” due to the fact that spices used to come to the market from India and Southeast Asia via Egypt. There is plenty to discover for the “foodie.
- Then you will take a ferry to Kadıköy on the Asian side of Istanbul from Eminönü and walk through the historical Kadıköy market where there is plenty to discover for the “foodie. This market is one of İstanbul’s most colorful, vibrant and accessible shopping spots. Many traders have been in business since the early to mid 1900s and the more famous ones really need no introduction.
- You will wander to probably Kadıköy’s, if not Istanbul’s best-known restaurant amongst gourmets, that specializes in Anatolian home cooked specialities, as well as a wider selection of Mediterranian food. The chef creates his menu from the kitchen memories of forgotten dishes, lost tastes and wiped -off-cultures which have been carried from hand to hand and from taste to taste. The ingredients used in the dishes travel from the cities of Hatay and Gaziantep to arrive at your plate in Istanbul: aromatic red pepper, pistachios,chickpeas, olive oil and pomegranate molasses.
- Here you will enjoy a sumptuous meal of dishes by the reknown chef and eventually hear the stories of his signature dishes; Zahter salad, kebab with pistachios, stuffed eggplant, babahannus, and many more. After lunch you will take the ferry back to the European side.
- A delicious gourmet walking tour in Istanbul with more than 25 delicacies you may not discover on your own!
- Please do not have a big breakfast on the day of your tour and make no dinner reservations.
- Vegetarian diets are not challenging options for us – it’s easy being green and tasting exciting Turkish vegetarian delicacies during this tour.
Cost : USD 100.- per person
Price includes:Tour from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm, ferry fares , tastings , a multi course lunch offering small portions of many dishes.
Just letting you know that we had a fabulous day yesterday on our walking tour!!…
Your colleague has amazing knowledge and interacted with every member of our group…she was fun to be with and great company to guide the tour .
The right amount of stops and sampling for the time available and the lunch at Ciya was a great way to end a very enjoyable day..
Next time we will join you in the kitchen!
Also compliments on your very timely communications and organisation of the tour….. all five of us had an amazing day!!!
Thanks and warm regards..
We are proud to be listed amongst Lonely Planet’s Top Ten walking tours for Globetrotting foodies.
The “Young Adventuress” joined our tour! Click to read more.
Suggested reading The Memory Kitchen